Colorful Wax Scented Pine Cones

October 21, 2014

Pine Cones Plus has a found a great use for all those buckets of broken crayons. Wax pine cones make lovely Christmas ornaments, gifts and can be scented too. You can use all kinds of scents and colors to use year round. The activity includes the use of heat and wax, so it should always be overseen by an adult to keep the activity fun and safe.


  • Open dry pine cones
  • Paraffin wax
  • Double boiler
  • Crayons with paper removed (break into pieces)
  • Cinnamon oil
  • Tongs
  • Glitter or fake snow (optional)


  1. Melt the paraffin wax in the double boiler. Don’t leave it unattended. Constantly monitor the temperature of your wax and never let it get above 300 degrees. See safety tips below.
  2. Add the crayons to the melted wax as a colorant, and stir the wax until it’s an even color.
  3. Add a few drops of the cinnamon oil for scent.
  4. Dip your pinecones in the wax mixture and set them aside on wax paper to dry.
  5. By the time you’ve dipped the last pinecone, your first pinecone should be cooling off. Once they’re all dry to the touch, dip them again for coat two. You might need 3 or even 4 coats to completely cover the pinecone.
  6. Immediately after the last coat, you can lightly sprinkle the pinecone with glitter or fake snow.
  7. Let the pinecones dry for 2 or 3 hours.


Scented wax cones are great for every season. Add citronella oil to the wax to repel insects. Use citronella scented cones in a centerpiece on an outdoor table, or use them as a fire starter in an outdoor fire pit or campfire.

Safety Precautions

NEVER LEAVE MELTING WAX UNATTENDED. It may seem to take a long time to get the wax to go from solid to liquid. But once it has liquefied, the temperature will rise sharply. Use a thermometer to monitor your wax temperatures.

Make it a habit to constantly monitor the temperature of your wax. If that wax reaches flash point, then the vapors produced are extremely flammable. The flash point of wax is typically above 300 °F. Never let your wax exceed 250 °F.

Electric heat source is best. If, by accident, your wax reaches the flash point, it is less likely for the vapors to find a flame and become ignited on an electric heat source. Any open flame, such as that found on a gas stove, will ignite wax vapors.